I’m a bit late in posting this, but hopefully you enjoy reading it anyways. It’s been sitting in my drafts. 🙂 Hope you enjoy it anyway!
I finished my Renaissance Fair costume, and although it didn’t turn out perfectly (it never does) it turned out pretty well! Not nearly as dramatic as one of my other season inspired dress so I didn’t quite feel like a Disney World princess this year (maybe because this year’s dress a bit more risque), but I did have 2 little girls want to take pictures with me and got tons of compliments. 🙂
Below is the dress I made, inspired by the autumn season. I wanted it to look like a tree that the leaves were falling off of. I managed to complete this costume over the course of 2 weeks, so I needed to take a few shortcuts which I’ll bring up below.
The dress was made mostly made out of organza, which was a pretty terrible idea on the bodice portion. It almost immediately began fraying at the edges and detaching itself from the solid parts since that portion was very structured… I ended up needing to glue the leaves over the fraying portions, and used “gluing” some of the parts that were separating. I even had to glue the fabric to the zipper. *shudder* Luckily I was still able to zip/unzip the costume… It was really hard, though.
Unfortunately, I didn’t take very many pictures of the dress as I was making it, but here are some pictures. you can’t see it, but what looks like just a bodice is actually a strapless bodysuit – kind of like a bathing suit. I wanted the skirt portion to be see through and the cutouts to go very low on the sides of my hips, so the top and bottom portion needed to be one piece. It needed to be fitted almost exactly to my shape and required me to install a long side zipper. This was the hardest thing to make. Tacked onto the bodysuit, is a long organza underskirt. Below is a picture where I am experimenting with draping options. I basically ended up just gathered some organza, and tacked it onto the waistline of the bodysuit… It looks very rough without the overskirt.
Below, is a picture of the overskirt before I glued the leaves onto it. The skirt attaches to the bodysuit with hook & eyes.
I also ended up making a cape from organza as well, which attached to my necklace, and went around my arms. I unfortunately didn’t have time to hem the bottom of the cape or the long organza skirt, but overall, it made for a unique costume. It was very Art Nouveau inspired.
So, as a throwback, here’s my dress from about 2 years ago… This one took me at least 40 hours to glue all the flowers and leaves onto it, and was much more time intensive to make. Luckily, I didn’t need to sew the dress. I found a simple wedding dress for $15 at goodwill, which I used as the gown’s base. For this reason, that dress was much easier and enjoyable to make. It basically just required me to glue stuff to it – no sewing required! And my mom had tons of fake flowers, so I barely had to spend any money on it. 🙂
It’s amazing what you can do with a hot glue gun! Anyway, I hope you all are having a nice holiday season. 🙂